Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church
A protected landmark, the construction of the The Holy Trinity Orthodox Church was started in 1785 according to the plans of Johann Michael Schajdlet in the Roccoco or Late Baroque (”Zopf”) style; which is rare in Hungary. Twenty years of construction yielded the East-facing church. János Adami, a stone carver from Eger who worked in Italy, worked on the construction site.
After the Turkish rule, Greek settlers and merchants moved into Miskolc who wanted to have their own church, necessitating the construction of a new Orthodox Church. At that time, Miskolc was mainly inhabited by Catholics and Protestants and they already had their churches.
Its furnishings are also in Zopf style. What makes the church so special is that it has the largest iconostasis in Central Europe; 16 meters high and showing 87 scenes from the life of Jesus. It also presents the eleven great feasts (more specifically, there are twelve great feasts in the Orthodox Church, but Easter is considered a feast of feasts, and so only eleven are designated as "great" feasts). The iconostasis itself was made in the wood carving workshop of Miklós Jankovits of Eger. The icons, with the exception of four, are the works of the Viennese painter Anton Kuchelmeister.
The icon of the temple is a copy of the Ahtirka Mother of God, which was donated to the church by the Russian tsarina, Catherine II, during her visit to Miskolc.
Next to the church there is a school, a nursery and a parsonage. The churchyard also serves as a cemetery with the oldest tombs dating back 300 years.
The church can be visited during worship services.
Ticket price to the Hungarian Orthodox Church Museum also includes admission to the church for a special price of 300 HUF
The church is open by appointment only: Tóth István: +36 30 871 3256